BOYS AND GIRLS HOSTELS IN THE CAMPUS
There are separate hostels for outstation boys and girls residing in the sprawling campus of NC Group of Institutions (one hostel for boys and two hostels for girls – Shanti Sadan I and II) with a capacity of 414 boys and 392 girls. These hostels aim to develop a healthy environment of commitment and discipline among the students. The students are encouraged to develop community life and inculcate the spirit of tolerance, thus taking care of their psychological and emotional problems and shape themselves to be better citizens. It is in this spirit and sense of direction that rules and regulations are framed carefully for orderly and peaceful living, and to make the students better individuals and leaders of tomorrow.
Rules and Regulations
- There will be an outing on Wednesdays for girls and Thursdays for boys. Bus will leave at 5:45 pm. interested students should make entry in the register on Tuesday evening.
- The students are advised to roam in groups and should have the phone numbers of the teachers going along with them.
- The attendance timing is 7.30 to 9.00 pm.
- All hostellers have to be present in their respective rooms and keep open the rooms to enable caretaker to take the attendance.
- Attendance should be marked on a daily basis. If you haven’t made any home entry and you are not present in the hostel, this will be immediately informed to your parents/guardian.
- The attendance defaulters would be fined as follows:
- Warning for the first time
- Rs 200 for the second time
- Rs 1000 for the third time
- Rs 5000 for the fourth time and
- The fifth time the management will decide on the punishment.
- Strict silence should be observed between 10.00 pm & 6:00 am.
- The hostellers will be permitted to change their rooms only after Warden’s approval.
- The hostel rooms are subject to inspection by the institution / Hostel authorities to make sure that they are kept neat and tidy and no unauthorized items like liquor, drugs, lethal weapons etc., are kept in the room. Possession of any lethal weapons or any instrument / contrivance, which is likely to cause physical harm to others, is strictly prohibited.
- Perfect silence is to be maintained in the hostel premises including rooms, bathrooms, dining halls, corridors, common areas etc. Every student of the hostel should have the civic responsibility that he or she should not be a cause of inconvenience, annoyance or disturbance to others.
- Hostel rooms should be shared without causing inconvenience to other roommates. Keeping the room clean is the responsibility of the student. Residents shall not throw any garbage or litter in the corridors or hostel surroundings. Pasting of posters and any other material on the hostel walls, in the rooms and corridors except on the notice boards, will be treated as an offence. Individuals / organizations who wish to paste notices should take permission from the Warden. Pasting notices at places other than notice boards will attract heavy fines as per rules.
- The hostellers should not enter into any unnecessary conversation, quarrel or altercation with the hostel staff. If anyone has any complaint against any employee of the hostel, a written complaint against the person is to be lodged with the Warden. Use of abusive, vulgar and unparliamentarily language against the hostel/mess staff is strictly forbidden. Any complaint received from staff/faculty towards students will be taken seriously and action taken accordingly.
- If any hosteller is found indulging in any form of instigation / intimidation / threat to any other hostellers he / she will be asked to vacate the hostel forthwith. In this regard, the decision of the Chief Warden is final and binding on the individual’s concerned.
- Smoking is prohibited in the hostel buildings. Gambling in any form such as playing cards (even without money at stake), consumption of alcohol, use of drugs and narcotics and even possession of such things are prohibited. Anyone found indulging in the use of such things will not only be asked to vacate the hostel but also be rusticated from the institution.
- Day scholars are not allowed in the hostel. Hostellers should not encourage entry of day scholars.
- Students are not allowed to play cricket, skating rollers and other outdoor games inside the hostel to prevent breakages and accidents. Sliding along the hand rails/rest of stairs and fast running/ climbing down should be totally avoided to prevent accidents.
- When leaving the rooms for attending classes or for vacation, etc., fans, electrical gadgets, lights etc., should be switched off. Glass windows are to be closed securely.
- Students absenting themselves from regular classes will have to take the permission of the Warden and communicate the information to the Chief Warden.
- Hostellers coming to the Hostel after the gate closing hours without prior permission or without valid reason would be fined. Regular late comers will not be allowed to stay in the hostel.
- Clock alarms should be switched off, when not in use. There have been instances when students have set the alarm and gone on long leave, and some of them ringing for hours and spoiling the peace of fellow hostellers.
- Water should be carefully used and not wasted.
- Wrong entry, improper / lack of entry in exit register, signing on behalf of another person, tampering with the entries, proxy attendance and misguidance of any nature are punishable. In case of any quarrel between or among roommates it should be reported to the Warden for appropriate action.
- Absentees / Latecomers (without prior permission from the Warden) will be suitably punished.
- Students coming late / or absent regularly will be expelled from the Hostel. Such students shall not be readmitted under any circumstances.
- At the time of starting of the semester, no student should lock any room other than the officially allotted room. If the allotted room is a shared accommodation the student should inform the other student in the room or Warden whenever they are going out of the hostel. Students leaving the hostel after the semester or discontinuing their stay should never lock their rooms and cupboards.
- Students are not allowed to keep any power driven two wheeler vehicles in the hostel.
- The hostellers are not allowed to keep musical instruments, cassette record players, and computers, TV, electric irons or any electrical equipment without written permission of the Warden. Unauthorized possession will lead to confiscation of the goods.
Use of Computers:
- Installation of computer systems in the hostel rooms should be done only after getting written permission from the Warden.
- The usage of computer is for academic purpose only.
- The University / Hostel authorities will conduct surprise checks periodically and if anyone is found violating the above rule, disciplinary action will be taken against him/her.
Use of cell phones:
- Ordinary cell phone could be used by the student but not inside the class rooms, examination halls, Laboratory, Library, offices and during silence hour in the hostel.
- Students should visit the hostel office only during visiting hours. Students should read the circulars put up on the notice boards and be updated with the functioning of the hostel.
- Students are instructed to attend the General Meetings of the hostel. It is mandatory for Members of various student committees who are hostellers and Mess committee members.
- Violation of any of these rules would result in punitive action.
- Cooking by the residents in the hostel rooms is strictly prohibited. Cooking equipment found in hostel rooms will be confiscated and appropriate action will be taken against those involved.
- Any student found entertaining unauthorized guests (including day scholars/old students/parents) in the rooms will be liable to disciplinary action, including fines and expulsion from the hostels, as decided by the Warden.
- The University reserves the right to lock or open the lock of any room, if needed. In such cases, the personal belongings of the student will be kept in the custody of the Hostel Office.
- Guests are not permitted to stay in any of the hostels. If the parents wish to stay, then the student / parent may approach the Estate Officer after giving a written application to the warden for getting accommodation in the Guest House, subject to availability of, the room in the Guest House will be provided on a nominal rent.
- Parents/ Guardian visiting the student should remain in the reception of the hostel after filling details in the entry register kept with the hostel guard. Entry into the hostel blocks is not permitted.
Mess Timings and Rules
- All the students of the hostel should take their food in the mess only.
- The meal timings are displayed at the entrance of the dining hall. These timings are to be strictly adhered to. It is not obligatory on the part of the kitchen/dining hall staff to serve the meals outside the prescribed timings. The meal timings are:Breakfast: 7:30 – 8:50 a.m.Lunch: 12:30 – 2:00 p.m.Evening Snacks: 4:30 – 5:15 p.m.Dinner: 7:30 – 9:00 p.m.Dinner (For Fasting Students): 6:00 – 6:30 p.m.
- Dining hall furniture like chairs, tables, etc., and utensils like stainless steel tumblers, plates, spoons etc., are not to be taken out of the dining hall. If anyone is found taking these dining hall properties out, he/she will be suitably penalized.
- The hostel kitchen is strictly “Out of Bounds” for the students/parents/guardians except the mess committee members (for regular checking).
- Sick person will be allowed to take mess food in the room, only if the student gets a written permission from the warden/co-warden.
- The hostellers shall not waste food, electricity & water. Wastage of food is a national loss. If anyone is found indulging in such wastage, he/she will be asked to vacate the hostel, since wastage causes unnecessary and unavoidable expenditure to others.
- Rude behavior, particularly harassment of hostel and mess staff by residents in any form shall result in disciplinary action, including expulsion from hostel.
- Modesty in dress is expected from students.
Damages and Recovery
- Rough handling of dining hall furniture, room furniture or any furniture / property or fittings of the hostel is strictly forbidden.
- The cost of damages will be recovered in the following manner:
- If any individual or group is identified to have caused the damage, double the cost will be recovered from him/her/group.
- If damage is done in any of the rooms and the person(s) is / are not identified then double the cost will be recovered from the room-mates collectively.
- If a damage is done outside the rooms i.e., in common places like corridors, bathrooms, recreation halls, mess etc., and the person(s) is/ are not identified, then double the cost will be recovered, floor wise or block wise or on the whole, as the case may be. Repetition of damage to the hostel property will result in expulsion from the hostel.
- All hostel students (Boys & Girls) will vacate their rooms before proceeding on summer vacation.
- A separate cloak room will be made available to keep their belongings while proceeding on vacation. Personal belongings should be placed inside locked suitcases, trunks/boxes and should bear complete details. The items kept inside the room are to be entered in the note book kept by the caretaker.
- Students who have kept their belongings in the cloak room should positively report on or one day before the reopening day and move to their respective rooms. Students who come late will not be entertained for any loss of property and will be penalized.
- In case of final year girl students’ parent’s approval is necessary before vacating the hostel. In case students who vacate in-between the semester, permission from department head and parent’s approval is mandatory.
- Students who have vacated should not enter the hostel without prior permission from hostel authorities.
- Old Students/Project Review students should seek permission to stay in hostel only after informing their department head. They should stay only in the cabins provided to them and follow the rules of the hostel during their stay.
- 24 hours Medical facility is available in the campus.
- Any hosteller, who is not well, should report to the Warden / resident Doctor for appropriate advice.
- If the sick person requires medical care by outside hospital at any time, a form meant for the same should be filled along with the signature of the patient if possible or by the accompanying person and submitted to Warden/ co-warden/registrar for calling the ambulance available in the campus.
- A sick student should invariably be accompanied by a nurse, while going to outside hospital.
- If the situation warrants, admission to an outside hospital as inpatient, the same is to be reported to the Chief Warden immediately.
- If any sick hosteller requires special diet, the individual should inform the mess supervisor through the warden concerned for making suitable provisions.
- English and Hindi newspapers are provided in each hostel. Hostellers are requested to make best use of them and not take these newspapers in their rooms.
- There is a provision to subscribe to the newspapers/ magazines to be delivered in the rooms. Hostel caretaker may be contacted for further details.
- Common TV viewing rooms are provided and they are open up to 9:30 pm. (11:30 pm on Saturday) so as to allow the hostellers to get back to their hostel room for studies. The above TV timings would be very strictly observed without exception what so ever. However, during study holidays and exam period TVs shall not be operated.
- A general Shopping Complex is situated in the campus for the benefit of the students.
- In case of Speed Post (for ladies hostel), the student should collect the intimation slip from the Warden and collect the post from the post office.
- Any maintenance work in your room (electricity, carpenter etc.) should be reported before 9 a.m. in the complaint register. Deposit the room key with the caretaker so that (s)he can get the work done during your college hours. No complaint will be entertained in the evening/night.
Payment of Fees/dues
- Hostel charges are to be paid annually.
- It can be paid by Bank Drafts deposited in the Oriental Bank of Commerce branch (Israna branch) in the campus or by cash in the accounts department of the concerned college.
- The students are allowed to keep AC or air cooler in their rooms after due permission from the Chief warden/warden and after paying the charges for the same.
Charge for AC: 10,000 per student per semester.
Charge for cooler: 5,000 per student per semester.
The Supreme Court of India defined ragging in a 2001 judgement as:
Any disorderly conduct whether by words spoken or written or by an act which the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness any other student, indulging in rowdy or undisciplined activities which causes or is likely to cause annoyance, hardship or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in a fresher or a junior student or asking the students to do any act or perform something which such student will not do in the ordinary course and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of a fresher or a junior student.
- Ragging is a severe criminal act.
- FIR will be filed without any delay.
- Such cases will be accorded priority trial.
- Those found guilty may be fined up to Rs. 25,000/-.
- Those found guilty may be expelled up to four semesters.
- Those found guilty may be denied admission elsewhere.
NC Group of Institutions Anti-Ragging help lines: 0180-2579989/0180-2579835
HRD Ministry and UGC’s Anti-Ragging helpline – 1800-180-5522 (Toll Free)
Special rules for Foreign Students
All the rules and regulations given above are applicable to the Foreign Students as well. In addition, the following special rules are meant exclusively for foreign students.
- If any student wants to leave the country on vacation or for any other purpose, the individual will submit a written application at least 15 days prior to the date of departure to the Director to enable the office to obtain all the required clearances from the authorities concerned.
- The application should have details such as (i) purpose, (ii) duration of stay outside India, (iii) full contact address with phone number.
- No student shall leave the town without the written consent as indicated above. Failure will be treated as serious violation of rules and the appropriate authorities will be informed for pursuing further action.
Cancellation of Hostel Admission
The Warden may cancel the hostel allotment at short notice if a student:
- Ceases to be a bonafide student of the University.
- Has a discipline-related complaint against her.
- Furnishes wrong information for the purpose of securing admission into hostels.
- Having H scheduled drugs in the hostel room, without the permission of the University Medical officer.
- Involves in ragging, teasing, or other indisciplinary behavior.
- Intimidates, harass, abuses or physically assault another student or employee.
- Violates hostel rules.
- Irregular in attending the class work and staying in the hostel without prior permission.
- Indulges in any misconduct, as deemed by the hostel / University authorities.
- Any other act that in the opinion of the University is considered harmful or offensive to the University community.
Note: Rooms are subject to surprise checks by principal/ his authorized individual at any time. Any violation of hostel rules mentioned above or elsewhere in the prospectus would lead to confiscation